San Lorenzo, 1680
San Antonio de Senecú, 1680
Nuestra Señora de la Limpia Concepción del Socorro, 1680
Corpus Christi de la Isleta, 1680
A successor to Mission San Francisco de los Tejas, closed in 1694. In 1719, because of the French invasion from Louisiana, the mission was again abandoned. It was reestablished in 1721 in a new location and renamed San Francisco de los Neches.
The mission was founded because Mission San Antonio de Valero had become overcrowded with refugees from the closed East Texas missions shortly after its founding. Father Antonio Margil received permissionto build a new mission 5 miles (8 km) south of San Antonio de Valero to serve Coahuiltecan Indians.
Established for the Ranchería Grande Indians on March 12, 1722, one league south of San Antonio de Valero Mission. The new mission endured with little success until 1726, when it was merged with San Antonio de Valero. Its lands were regranted to the mission of Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña in 1731.
Missions were reestablished in 1715 without military guards or settlers but the friars found the people well-behaved but independent. Periodic attacks of Apaches and other tribes again forced the Franciscans and some natives to flee at times. As a practical response some friars apparently adopted the practice of staying at La Junta only part of the year and spending the rest in the new town of Chihuahua.
Santa María de la Redonda de los Cíbolos was located near what is now Shafter in Presidio County. The missions were partially abandoned during periods of Indian hostilities and then re-established. Cíbolos Mission finally was abandoned around 1726 and fell into ruin.
A short-lived mission about which little is known.
The third mission of the San Juan Bautista mission complex at the site of present-day Guerrero, Coahuila, founded "two musket shots" north of San Juan Bautista Mission
San Francisco Solano, the forerunner of San Antonio de Valero Mission, was founded two leagues (five miles) from the Rio Grande at the site of present-day Guerrero, Coahuila; It was the second mission at this location, San Juan Bautista having been established two months previously.
Located at the site of present-day Guerrero, Coahuila, thirty-five miles down the Rio Grande from Eagle Pass and Piedras Negras. San Juan Bautista grew into a complex of three missions, a presidio, and a civilian settlement, and served as a way station and gateway for expeditions to the Texas interior from 1700 until the Mexican War.
One of five Spanish missions established by Franciscans in what is now San Antonio, it is most commonly known as the site of the battle of the Alamo (1836). Hostile Apaches and allied tribes harassed the institution repeatedly during the 1730s and 1740s, and an epidemic of smallpox and measles devastated the resident Indian population in 1739. The mid-century decades witnessed the mission's most successful period. The Indian population climbed to 311 in 1745 and 328 in 1756, then declined.
The sixth and last mission founded in East Texas and founded for the Adaes Indians near present-day Robeline, Louisiana. Abandoned three years later under pressure from the French, it resumed in 1721 with limited success until 1773.
Founded in a village of the Nacogdoches Indians, the mission was abandoned temporarily in 1719 because of a French invasion of Texas. Restored in 1721, the mission was unsuccessful in its goal of converting the local Indians, but it did provide an important presence to offset the French influence. In 1773 it was permanently abandoned.
Franciscan friars established this mission as a base for converting the Hasinai to Catholicism and teaching them what they needed to know to become Spanish citizens. The friars moved the mission in 1731 to San Antonio.
One of the six missions established in 1716–17 on the northeastern frontier of New Spain but abandoned in 1719 with the advent of hostilities between Spain and France. Reestablished in August 1722, the Spanish padres at Mission Dolores wandered the reaches of Ayish Bayou attempting to minister to the inhabitants, but with little success before abandoning the mission in 1773.
Presidio de Paso del Norte (1682-1773)
This presidio served as the center for Spanish defense in western Texas
Popularly called La Bahía, this Spanish outpost occupied the site of La Salle's Texas Settlement on the right bank of Garcitas Creek five miles above its mouth in Lavaca Bay to guard the coast against possible French intrusion: a prescient move in view of the fact that French maritime expeditions had probed the coast in 1720 and 1721, seeking “La Salle’s bay” with expectations of building fortifications.
Established one-fourth league from San Francisco de los Tejas Mission on the east bank of the Neches River. Abandoned in 1719 after a French invasion of East Texas, it was reestablished in 1721, but the peaceful demeanor of the Indians in East Texas caused the abolition of the presidio, which was effected in 1729.
In 1703, Spanish authorities established a military plaza with a standing garrison of troops to defend the three nearby missions.
Spanish Missions present in Texas 1700-1730
Spanish Presidios present in Texas 1700-1730
Only briefly mentioned in Spanish sources, the exact location of this short-lived mission remains unknown