This Tennessee long rifle was made in Bull City by John Bull for William B. Rodgers who was on his way to Texas. The rifle, in great condition, is a .48-calibre rifle with an octagon barrel 42 inches long. Originally produced as a flintlock, it was converted to cap and ball around 1845. Made of cherry wood, it has an iron patch box and a silver triangle check piece and pick holder for cleaning from its flintlock days.
There is an engraving stating: John Bull for Wm B Rodgers FOR TEXAS
Settling in Nacogdoches, Rodgers served in many of the early conflicts of the Texas Revolution. He was with Edward Burleson at the Siege of Béxar and was listed in the Red River Rangers muster rolls. Rodgers later became justice of the peace in his hometown of Nacogdoches.